Metering as a Service® (MaaS)
Metering as a Service® (Maas) by MeterSYS is available to provide alternatives for utilities that prefer outsourcing all aspects of the technology- Design, Build, Finance, Operate, Maintain (DBFOM).
MaaS is a great option for utilities that do not have the desire or capacity to manage the capital or operational requirements of smart metering in-house
MeterSYS® offers Metering as a Service® (MaaS) as a key component of our core business, by delivering full-service outsourced utility advanced metering operations in an optimized performance and cost-transparent environment for water, electric and gas utilities.
MaaS® is turn-key advanced metering implementation:
- Unsure of where to start? -> MeterSYS has a step-by-step project plan that is fully customizable and scalable to your specific requirements.
- Need staff and governing body support? -> MeterSYS offers smart metering educational presentations tailored to employees, decision makers, and customers including customized service financial modeling and public and internal communications
- Capital competition? –> Annualized OPEX is fixed and transparent
- Challenging training requirements?-> MeterSYS has factory trained technicians to install and manage your smart meter infrastructure and support customer services
- Changing regulation, aging assets, and reduced revenue? -> From daily maintenance and monitoring to long-term asset replacement, our experienced staff will eliminate the responsibility for capital planning and staffing while optimizing utility revenues
- Unsure about shifting meter reading accountabilities? -> System performance reporting and detailed service level agreements ensure quality system maintenance and monitoring by trained professionals committed optimal operation of your meter reading infrastructure.
MaaS® is Turn-key Smart Metering Solutions Utilizing DBFOM
Design: Planning and designing smart metering solutions scalable to the customer
Build: Installation of smart meters and supporting network and infrastructure
Finance: Providing advanced metering equipment to utilities shifting AMI/AMR costs from CapEx to OpEx
Operate: Real-time field support operations and reporting analytics
Maintain: System service, troubleshooting, remote monitoring and long-term planning for leverage of technology
- Is the only turn-key solution by experienced public utility professionals for public utility professionals.
- Eliminates the need for smart metering funding to compete against pipes and plants for capital
Advanced Metering as a Public-Private Partnership (P3) Using MaaS®
Public utilities are struggling with complex infrastructure that has far surpassed useful life, while being held responsible for addressing regulatory compliance mandates, operational cost escalation, and political pressure against rate increases.
The most important revenue asset for any utility is the utility meter.
Utility smart metering serves as the cash register for the utility, and is the point of significant operational data for:
- Customer Consumption Analytics
- System Performance
- Leak Detection
…yet is most often under-managed to a degraded state of operation.
Small and mid-sized utilities (under 100,000 customers) most often utilize manual, touch read, or drive-by/AMR technologies for collecting read data – technologies that have been in operation 15 or even 25+ years or more.
The manual processes associated with these meter reading types contribute to higher error rates by staff and revenue leakage due to under-performing assets.
In an environment of conflict between revenue compression and expectation for higher customer service, technology investments are critical to satisfying both requirements.
Beyond volumetric recording for billing purposes, meter data management (MDM) systems and the supporting analytics for Advanced Meter Infrastructure (AMI) provide insight into a myriad of data collection points:
- Usage profiles
- Leak detection alarms
- Tampering notifications
- Water loss calculations
- Pump station recordings
- Overall utility system health
AMI systems and two-way communication between operations and smart meters are responsible for major advancements in how utilities are able to utilize data and leverage technology to reduce or eliminate manual work processes.
The scalability and customized configuration of AMI systems provide the flexibility that most utility operators are seeking from technology to address their unique, localized functional requirements.
The MaaS® program of work is specifically designed to increase the affordability of adopting innovative technology through a long-term service contract, as opposed to the utility issuing the traditional debt service to fund implementation under a capital project designation.
No capital investment required.
This allows the cost of the equipment, maintenance, and ongoing support to be amortized over a portion of the useful life of the asset.
With MaaS®, smaller municipalities now have an option to bring fully leveraged AMI technologies to their customers with affordable service contracting, with a refined selection approach, accelerated implementation, and a sustainable and transparent business model.